Chess is the one of the oldest games known to the mankind. Chess players are very passionate about their game and are always curious to know every single trick or rule that can improve their game. Chess rules are few but they can get really complex. Along with using strategies to play chess, it is also equally important to have the correct positions of the chess pieces at the beginning of the game.
A chessboard is a kind of checkerboard and consists of 64 squares (eight rows and eight columns) and 32 pieces. These squares are arranged in two alternating colors (light and dark). Environment friendly wooden chess boards that we offer to our customers at chessbazaar use genuine woods. Material varies widely in making chess boards. Plastic and cardboard chessboards are basically used for low-level games. For high level or for professional games only wooden chess boards are used.
The first and foremost rule in start of game of chess is placement of the chess board. Now it’s time to set your beautiful wooden chessboard with meticulously hand carved wooden chess pieces right. Let’s get started.
Get started with these simple steps:
- Set the board and make sure that the bottom right square is a white square. If your board has algebraic notations on it make sure that ‘1’ is nearest to white and ‘8’ is nearest to Black. The ‘a’ letter should be on White’s left.
- Place a rook/castle on each of the two corners.
- Place a knight on the inside of the rooks/castles.
- Now set your bishops to the inside of the knights.
- Then place your queens on the matching color square. Queen is a second most important piece in chess after the king. But always remember that the queen always sits in the color of its square. So the light colored square will have white queen and the black Queen has to be placed in a dark square of the board (A lady always wants to wear matching shoes with her dress). Queen Side of the board’ is the left side of the board, where both queens are placed.
- Now place your King on the last square left. King side of the board’ is the right side of the board, where both kings are placed.
- Place all the pawns on the front squares, so that they can declare the war.
All chess pieces have different points to indicate how valuable they are and if you want to play for chess tournaments, it is also important to learn the points that each chess piece is worth of and the points of some possible combinations. Let’s have a look –
The person with the white side pieces always begins the game. The Game is all about saving the King, so the King carries infinite value. The interesting rule of the game is that the King can never be captured and if he is in danger then he must move to a safe place or another chess piece must make him safe. If he cannot reach in the safe zone then the game is over.